Sunday, 19 December 2010


Yesterday I was minding my own business, pushing my bike through the mall when a woman suddenly made a beeline towards me and threw a Christmas card into my basket. Thanks for riding your bike and making the city great, it read. Then later on in the afternoon after I came out of the markets, there was another exactly the same tied around my lock.

Today I discovered arrows made from flour on the footpath outside my house, and being curious about things like that, I decided to follow them. At first I thought that perhaps they were for a child's party. But they kept going for two or three kilometres. Sometimes there would be four arrows pointing in different directions and I had to ride down each of the different streets a little way to find out where the trail continued. Then they went around the back of the Julia Farr centre, and I thought they might be for some underground gig or whatnot. But they still kept going. Through parks, down side streets, onto main roads. It began to rain and I was worried that I wouldn't find the end in time, until finally I was just down the street from my house again, and I saw a slightly open gate with some spilt flour and buckets inside. I rushed home and wrote a letter. Hello, Were you the creator of the arrow trail? If so, please leave an arrow in the driveway of [the address of my block of flats] at your earliest possible convenience. I very much enjoyed the trek. x

Now I'm waiting for an arrow in my driveway. I'm not sure what I'll do if it comes - perhaps write another letter?

What a strange weekend.

14 comments:

lisanne said...

this all sounds so lovely, like coming straight from a perfect movie. these unexpected things make life so beautiful, thanks for sharing :)

peachpatrol said...

what awesome little anecdotes you shared! I love it! Could it be, that our little city is getting a little bit exciting? .. are we the next Melbourne?? (yippie!)

Girlrant said...

amazing, I am jealous of your adventures :)

Dot said...

That's a really great story, wish it would happen in my town!

Jazzy E (hivennn) said...

so lovely. x hivennn.

SJ said...

what a fabulously random weekend!

Felix Curds said...

wow, that really is just like from a movie:) not often stuff like that happens in adelaide...

Peter Fong said...

Ah man I wish I rode into the city that day! Sounded like a great weekend! hooray for Adelaide :D

peterpatterpeter.blogspot.com

Ida Rud said...

How wonderful that you followed the arrows - I wonder how many just ignored them, or plain just didn't see them?
We need more adventures...

-Ida
http://toloveor.blogspot.com/

The Sequin Cat said...

I saw those little Christmas cards left on bikes at the markets! So sweet.

amy said...

aww.. no flour arrows in my town.

- said...

Damn...I want to be back in Adelaide!!!
Happy New Year by the way!

Sundari said...

Sounds like a lovely story! I wonder if you got any more flour arrows? And yay for biking it and getting loved for it.

E R I N said...

haha! i LOVE that you actually took the time to follow them! and you stepped it up a notch and added PART B to the story!!

very cool..

xxxx